Tuesday, 27 June 2017

So I Read.... Dark Knight 3: The Master Race


BE WARNED: Spoilers ahead but with good reason.

Frank Miller's original Dark Knight Returns story is, and always will be, a classic in my mind and many others out there. It has many standout moments, such as the final fight with the Joker and even with Superman himself. The Dark Knight 2 was a good follow up, but not as good as the original, such is the case with most sequels. Its best moment was introducing Lara, the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman, and laying the foundations for an interesting character.

Now we have Dark Knight 3. Earth is invaded by a large group of Kryptonians intent on world domination. Batman and Robin emerge to help defend the planet with the eventual aid of Superman and Wonder Woman, but Lara is turned against the heroes, leaving the odds stacks against them.

I really wanted to give this series a glowing review, I really did, but I found myself more annoyed with it than anything else. First off, the lateness of this series was stupid, it started way back in November of 2015, and the final issue (9) has not long been released. Granted that the issues are bigger than normal comics, and have a minicomic in the middle, but I found myself having to reread previous issues to remind myself what happened. Wonder Woman felt like nothing more than a reserve character until she and the Amazonians joined the fight near the end, Lara felt like nothing more than a spoilt brat with her conclusion in the story feeling pointless, and there was even a damn Trump reference.

Then there was a number of variants.
Jesus Christ, I still have a job to believe the amount of them that were actually released. At the time of this blog piece, there is 164 of them, not counting the regular versions. The values of some of them are beyond stupid and, to save time I will not go through all of them, but a variant of issue 9 is currently valued at $650.
Why?

I might bring myself to reread the whole thing from start to finish and maybe I'll have a better opinion of it, but right now I'm disappointed. When a series such as this suffers from being as late as it was, with a stupid amount of variants as it has, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Am I being too harsh? Maybe. But with a number of people that were working on it, they could have at least got it out on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment