Tuesday, 13 June 2017

So I Listened to.... Denied a Chance.


I don't think I would have ever come across this lady and her story had it not been for a random retweet that appeared in my timeline one day. I follow a few people who believe in the right to carry arms in the USA, one has even shown me her guns via Skype, and one retweeted a tweet from Nicole Goeser which caught my attention. She had tweeted about the loss of her husband, shot dead in front of her by a stalker, in a gun free zone. I saw that she had her book coming out at the time and tweeted that I was sorry for her loss and that I hoped the book did well. Later, I saw that she had liked the tweet and said to myself that I should buy the book.

I remembered about it a while later and decided to check on Audible to see if the book was on there. Sure enough, it was,  I purchased it and sat down to listen. The book covers her last day with her husband, his brutal murder, and what she went through afterward before the eventual trial of his murderer. I found myself really feeling for her throughout the listen and even after the audiobook had finished, she went through something nobody should but took a strong stance against it.

Gun control is obviously a part of this story as well is the ridiculousness of "gun free zones". I believe in the right to carry firearms and would if I could, but here in the UK, it is a totally different ball game. Goeser herself has given talks about this a few times now and I hope she continues because a bad person will always find a way to get a gun; a gun free zone really won't stop them. One thing that certainly should be taken away from this is that Goeser complied with the law by locking her gun away on that fateful night, because of that the law failed both her and husband.

The audiobook is narrated by Ann M. Thompson and she does a good job of it. At first, I was going to criticize the fact that her tone rarely shifted but then I realized that perhaps it was intentional. This really is not a story that could or should be dramatized and her approach to it is a respectable one. The run time for the audiobook is just over three hours, short but this really isn't a tale that can be dragged out at all. Goeser makes her points with no beating around the bush and does not waste time on filler of any kind. It is one of the best arguments for carrying a gun that I have heard yet.

Check this one out. It is not only a strong lesson in firearms and the weakness of the US law, but it also makes another point that recent events in the UK can back up.
Guns do not kill people. People kill people.

No comments:

Post a Comment