Monday, 12 June 2017

Ol' Painless is Waitin'.

Saturday was a good day for me.
My editor, Brian Niemeier, returned my corrections for my book and I began to have at it with them. I thought it was going to be a painful process, where there were errors or corrections needed, Brian had highlighted them and placed an icon for me to click on. Once I did, the icon would explain what the problem was and offer a correcting suggestion. I began to get worried when more icons appeared in the following pages and I thought to myself "This many mistakes? Oh man, I stink at this," quite often. To my delight though, a lot of these were compliments on what I had written and believe me, they were not only a confidence boost but they added a drive to keep going. Even better, other icons were for comical jokes or reactions to something I had written that struck a chord with Brian, such as:

When a character cannot find the energy to read a complicated document, Brian wrote: "Like a Scalzi novel".

When I wrote about food or drink he liked, "Oh man, you are really making me hungry/thirsty".

When my main character insulted someone, "sick burn!"

When one of my characters said "oh boy", Brian made a Quantum Leap joke.

These little moments gave me a kick to keep going and I cannot tell you how much it helped through this process. However, like a laser blast through my midsection that knocked me down, the real problem presented itself later.

Brian pointed out that some of the scenes or chapters in the book were ones I needed to either edit down or take out completely. It was a hard thing for me to hear but his reasons were solid, they slowed the book down too much. In my efforts to learn from the mistakes I had made with Nomads, I had overcompensated with Penance and it was showing. I decided that as I was half done with the corrections, I would finish them and then put myself through the task of cutting out what was not needed as it seemed the right thing to do.

That night, I did not sleep very well as it played on my mind a lot. I had become really attached to the story and really couldn't see where I could make these cuts. The next day (the day of writing this) I found myself coming at it more critically and the scenes that I could cut became a little clearer to me. I know it will still be hard, but I promised myself that I would get this as right as I could. Thankfully, Brian's style of editing has been a real helping hand here and I will always remember that.

Thanks, Brian.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're finding my comments--both criticism and praise--helpful. It's good you slept on it. Helps collect your thoughts.

    Also, good work on the blog post.

    ReplyDelete